Kadian (Morphine Sulfate) 80mg capsule
Kadian belongs to a class of medications called opiate (narcotic) analgesics. Morphine works by changing the way the brain and nervous system respond to pain.
Kadian is used when other pain treatments, such as non-opioid pain medicines or immediate-release opioid medicines, do not treat your pain well enough or you cannot tolerate them.
Kadian extended-release capsules should not be used to treat pain that can be controlled by medication that is taken as needed.
Kadian side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction to Kadian: hives, difficulty breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Opioid medicine can slow or stop your breathing, and death may occur, especially if you drink alcohol or use other drugs that cause drowsiness or slow breathing. A person caring for you should give you naloxone and/or seek emergency medical attention if you have slow breathing with long pauses, blue-colored lips, or if it is hard to wake up.
Kadian may cause serious side effects. Call your doctor at once if you have:
- slow heart rate, weak pulse, fainting, and slow breathing (breathing may stop);
- chest pain, fast or pounding heartbeats;
- extreme drowsiness, feeling like you might pass out; or
- decreased adrenal gland hormones: nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite, feeling tired or light-headed, muscle or joint pain, skin discoloration, craving salty foods.
Serious breathing problems may be more likely in older adults and people who are debilitated, have the wasting syndrome, or have chronic breathing disorders.
Seek medical attention right away if you have symptoms of serotonin syndrome, such as agitation, hallucinations, fever, sweating, shivering, fast heart rate, muscle stiffness, twitching, loss of coordination, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
Common Kadian side effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, and anxiety;
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, gas, or constipation;
- sweating, low oxygen levels (shortness of breath), feeling light-headed; or
- feelings of extreme happiness or sadness.
This is not a complete list of side effects, and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.